Who we are
Rabbi Yaakov Avraham Shepherd, 10th generation Israeli, is the Rosh Yeshiva of Yeshivat Nefesh Hachayim, and The Head Kabbalist of King David Kabbalah. He has a unique vision that everyone will know that Hashem is one and his name is one.
Rabbi Shepherd has been teaching at Diaspora Yeshiva for over 11 years, where he has taught Gemara, Chumash, Navi, Shulchan Aruch and more both in English and Hebrew. Many of his classes have been translated into Spanish.
Seven years ago Rabbi Shepherd also began teaching in the Hidra Raba located near the western wall (Kotel Hama’aravi), where he started teaching Kabbalah. Rabbi Shepherd has students around the globe who continue his dream of spreading Torah.
Rabbi Shepherd has received Smicha (Rabbinic ordination) first from Rabbi Rafael Sadin of Beit ve Gan [former Rabbi of the French community Shivtey Israel Paris Rova 6 ] in Yore Deah, later he also received from Harav Yehuda Derri [ Chief Rabbi of Beer Sheva]. He learned shechita from Rabbi Mori Aramati. Rabbi Shepherd received Smicha of Yore Yore Yadin Yadin, from Harav Hagaon Mordecai Goldstein, Zatzal.
Generations from the Rashash to today
- Rabbi Gedaliah Hayoun 1737-1751
- Rav Shalom Sharabi 1751-1777 [The Rashash]
- Rabbi Yom Tov Algazi 1777-1806
- Rabbi Hezekiah Yitzchak Sharabi 1806-1808
- Rabbi Raphael Avraham Shalom Mizrachi Sharabi 1808-1827
- Rabbi Chaim Avraham Gagin 1827-1850
- Rabbi Yedidya Raphael Abulafia 1850-1871
- Rabbi Aharon Azriel 1871 – 1881
- Rabbi Shalom Moshe Hai Chaggai 1881-1883
- Rabbi Sasson Bachar Moshe Persiado 1883-1903
- Rabbi Masoud HaCohen Elhadad 1903-1927
- Rabbi Shalom Hadaya 1927-1945
- Rabbi Ovadia Hadaya (in West Jerusalem) [grandson or son of former] 1958-1969
- Rabbi Shalom Mordechai Haim Hadaya (west of the city) 1969-2010
- Rabbi Meir Yehuda Getz 1973-1995
- Rabbi Yisrael Avichai 1995-Present
Rabbi Shepherd is a prominent student of Rav Avichai